There are invaluable business lessons that companies can learn from marathon runners. It requires a great dedication and many sacrifices to train for and run in a marathon. Here are the main lessons:
- Be willing to change yourself. “If you keep doing that you’ve always done, you’ll keep getting what you’ve always got!” W.L.Bateman – If you want to change your world, change yourself. There is one single person on this world who you can change and that person is you! Change your habits, change your attitude, and change yourself! Do you know that even though many people demand their world to change are not willing to change themselves?
- Change is not a goal, change is the small steps towards your goals. Do it like a baby – one step at a time? We have to overcome our minds need for instant results, for instant gratification and be content with the small improvements day after day
- Don’t make excuses. Running requires dedication and persistence. Do it EVERY single day. Don’t let obstacles get into your path to success. Training is difficult and requires discipline. Did you know that many marathon runners had to endure surgeries, sustain injuries or fight illnesses during their training? Be like them. Don’t let anything stand on your path to success.
- Learn to delay gratification. This is one of the most important lessons you need to learn in order to be successful. You have to discipline yourself to follow your plan even when there is no certainty of getting to your end goal. Many studies show that the children who had the ability to resist the temptation for an immediate reward and wait for a later reward were much more successful in life than the children who couldn’t bring themselves to wait (The marshmallow experiment).
- Failure does not determine you as a person, it is a chance for you to learn and improve. In marathon like in business there are no guarantees for success. There is no success without failure. You cannot learn from the first time. Be prepared to learn. IF you got hit 7 times, get up eight! Do you know that the greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure? Don’t fear failure, embrace it, and learn from it. Change yourself! I highly recommend business owners to get involved in a sport and practice it regularly. There is no reason (apart from a serious medical condition) to stop you from doing that. Minor problems don’t count! There is a solution to most problems, just do your research, be resourceful and be creative.
If you love running, but have flat feet, then get yourself shoes suitable for low arches. If you have only so much time on your hands, install a treadmill in your bedroom. If you need a partner to keep you accountable, count on a family member, or join one of the many forums with likeminded individuals.
JUST. DO. IT.
Doing any physical activity regularly will improve your health and will hone your discipline.